Friday, February 22, 2008

Ship of Fools

Thanks to all for the comments, and as promised I will relate the story of this boat trip.
This past year, my brother and parents bought a boat together. This is the third boat my dad has owned and he has never learned to swim. This fact, although unrelated to the story, really sums up my dad. Anyway, we took the boat out on the river. It was November, but remember we live in Florida so it was not exactly cold. My father was born in Pennsylvania and used to live in northern Minnesota, but now shivers like a chihuahua at temperatures below 72. He was decked out that day in a short-sleeved t-shirt, long-sleeved t-shirt, mossy oak sweatshirt, jeans, green jacket, and water shoes (the water shoes will have their own post one day when I have the strength).

When the wind picked up, he would put on his ski mask and hunting jacket, as seen in the original photo. At one point he was very cold and was sitting at the front of the boat doing this:

You can't tell from the photo, but he was actually pointing in the direction he wanted my brother to steer the boat and yelling instructions.

At this point we were concerned people would think some crazy man in an orange ski mask had hijacked the boat and was holding us hostage. We stopped along the way and my dad decided to start blowing the emergency whistle at my mom. They have been married for almost 37 years and you can still see the embarassment in her eyes. It's kinda cute!

Immediately after this photo was taken she told him that if he blew the whistle one more time she was she was going to make him eat it.

It was a good day.

No comments: